I often get asked what are my “must-have” tools, and looking back at some of the projects that I did and a few house calls I made recently to help out friends with some odd jobs, I found that I can get just about any job done with these 5 tools:
1. My multi-tool: If I could only have one tool, say on a deserted island, this would be it. In a pinch, it can act as a screwdriver, it can saw, it can transform into pliers, a can opener, a wire cutter, and the list goes on. Besides my drill, it is by far the tool I use most around the house. They come in many different sizes and combination of tools and they make a great gift too if you’re stumped on what to give someone – I’m pretty confident it won’t go unused!
They come in many different sizes and combination of tools and they make a great gift too if you’re stumped on what to give someone – I’m pretty confident it won’t go unused!
2. My cordless drill and drill bits: My brother gave me this drill set for my birthday last year and I absolutely feel in love with it. I love the compact and light design, which makes it very easy to handle, the spare battery is very handy to have on hand while working on a project, and having the storage bag is perfect to take my drill on my house calls!
3. Mitre box and saw: I usually like to have my lumber cut at the hardware store but for those times when I need to cut something at home, I turn to my trusty mitre box and saw – it guides your saw so you can easily make 90 and 45 degree cuts. Not bad for something that costs less than $15!
4. Clamps: I love clamps and I admit, I have a growing collection of them but if I could only have a two different types, it would be these:
a) Corner clamps: I use them to build anything that needs perfect 90 degree corners
b) Quick-change quick-grip clamps – they are by far the easiest to use and the padding protects the surface of whatever it is you’re clamping.
5. Hands-free laser level: This by far is my best friend when it comes to hanging anything on a wall, especially if I’m working alone. It will stick to walls, even ceilings, on it’s own, leaving my hands free to work. Love it!
You really don’t need a workshop full of fancy power tools to get jobs done around your home, or to create and build amazing DIY creations. Check out my Amazon store to see what else I have in my tool box!